Home Backtrack

School History

The Franciscan Sisters of Allegany, NY, opened St. Paul’s School in 1929.  This marked the beginning of Catholic secondary education in St. Petersburg, FL. The continued growth of the school in the following years resulted in the building of Bishop Barry High School for boys, which opened its doors in February, 1957.  It was at Bishop Barry High School that the students selected the title “Barons”, a tradition that has continued ever since.

In April 1962, ground was broken for a new high school for girls, Notre Dame Academy. This new school opened on the grounds adjoining Bishop Barry H.S.  A few years later the last high school graduation was held at St. Paul’s, which remained open as a Catholic elementary school.

In 1973 Bishop Barry H.S. and Notre Dame Academy were merged to form St. Petersburg Catholic High School on the Barry campus.  During the years since new buildings have been added to the campus including an administrative wing, science center, chapel, media center, and the St. John Bosco Fine Arts Center.  During the 2013-2014 school year the gymnasium was renovated with new flooring, bleachers, restrooms, and lobby. 

In July, 1998, the Salesians of St. John Bosco became the administrators of St. Petersburg Catholic H.S.  Since then the Salesian Spirit has become part of the daily fabric of school life and St. John Bosco and Mary, Help of Christians have become the school’s special patrons.

Today, St. Petersburg Catholic High School educates more than 300 students, many of whom are the sons and daughters, or grandsons and granddaughters, of alumni.  Parents and students choose the school for its religious values, the excellence of its academic program, and the supportive environment it provides.